‘End to council tax’: Medway Council to investigate Twitter hack

Written by PublicTechnology on 4 May 2017 in News
News

Kent council’s Twitter feed claimed to have been ‘taken over by the citizens of Medway’, announcing end to parking restrictions and council tax

Hackers took over Medway Council's Twitter feed for around 10 minutes - Photo credit: Fotolia

Medway Council in Kent has said its Twitter feed was taken over by hackers, after a series of tweets set out dream policies of people claiming to be acting on behalf of the “citizens of Medway”.

The social media account of the council, which has 15,900 followers, sent out a series of tweets in the evening of Tuesday (2 May).


Related content

ICO informed of council email hack
Local councils ‘should be at the forefront’ of national cyber security


The first tweet claimed that the feed had been “taken over by the citizens of Medway”, with another asking for crowd-sourced opinions on what actions the council should take.

There were then a string of tweets - quickly picked up by other Twitter users and now deleted by the council - that suggested a range of “policies”. These included free council tax for all, no more parking tickets and an end to the local Rochester Dickens Festival for enthusiasts of the author Charles Dickens

The council later tweeted that the account had been hacked, and apologised for any office caused.

The council said that it took social media security very seriously and was investigating the incident.

Medway had a population of 274,015 in 2014, and the council has 55 councillors.

Share this page

Tags

Categories

Add new comment

Related Articles

Public sector given March 2019 deadline to ditch .gsi domains and move to public cloud
9 November 2017

Government issues edict instructing public bodies to move email and websites to gov.uk and other new domains

MoD pledges to ‘put science and technology at the core of our Armed Forces’
1 November 2017

Department publishes new strategy document that looks to embed technology in both strategy and operations

 

NAO says preventable WannaCry damage shows DoH and NHS must ‘get their act together’
27 October 2017

National Audit Office report also points to a lack of coordination in response to attack, which the government has concluded was conducted by North Korea